Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rock Island Trail

Pi Guy and I went for a second ride the same week. This was also about twelve miles. Our access to the Rock Island Trail is almost immediate from our home and from here to Powers Boulevard is relatively flat for about six miles. We've done parts of the trail as a family, and I used, fairly regularly, three or four miles, as part of my bicycle commute to work.

The Rock Island Trail does have its challenges, however, some of which I am familiar. The trail parallels Constitution Avenue. The intersections pose dangers, if, as a bicyclist, you observe and use the pedestrian crossing.

I have seen from my bicycle perch some nasty auto accidents being pulled from the Union, Constitution intersection. The next intersection, Circle and Constitution, is set up the same way. I had seen, here, a cyclist that had been hit, broad side, and flung from his bicycle. I was in time to hear his vocal chords match the pitch of the approaching sirens.

Academy, Constitution again is similar, but the Academy cross traffic is much, much heavier. I have been nearly clipped on numerous occasions. People in automobiles often times find the crosswalk a convenient place to stop to observe oncoming traffic when they are attempting to turn on to Constitution. At times their eyes are looking in the wrong direction to see you entering the crosswalk with the ped x-ing light.

Another time, a cyclist was actually road cycling on Constitution. He was excellently outfitted with wetsuit, a really (!) nice road bike, and great training as exhibited by his velocity. He thought that he would be able to run a yellow, almost red, traffic light at Academy.

He was wrong. Five lanes of northbound traffic began to move as he crossed the southbound lanes. He almost had to put his bike down, but turned south into the outside, of the three southbound lanes.

I'm glad that all I had to do was shake my head, and not make a cell phone call for an ambulance for him. 8<) But what a bad reputation he gives the road cyclist. Recognizing these perils Pi Guy and I had a good ride out to Powers and back.


On the return trip we head back toward Pikes Peak. Here's a morning view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we may have to get Pi Guy his own cell phone, just in case... those intersections are almost as dangerous as Wolf creek Pass....I like the Pikes Peak photo!
love, Lucy

Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

What a great photo!

Guess I'd better add "cycling" to my prayers! Sounds like a fairly scary venture cruising through town. Either that, you maybe you could design some body armor for the two of you! :D