Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Preparations

Anyway, with the seriousness of my consideration, Lucy suggested that Pi Guy and I take a first aid class. My first choice was bicycle mechanics. But having listed some of my bicycle injuries previously, first aid will take first priority if not first in chronology. So the several challenges we’ll tackle before attempting the long ride are:

First Aid, class or home education, emergency and preventive
Bicycle Mechanics, preventive, repairs, and tuning
Bicycle Equipment and Accessories
Bicycle Riding Technique
Route reconnaissance
Distance training
Provisioning
And, for me, weight loss.

So, our course of action is, for first aid, locate any free first aid classes. Search the library for first aid books, and possibly purchase first aid books. We’ll be purchasing at least the Red Cross First Aid book and the Boy Scouts of America First Aid Merit Badge pamphlet.

Bicycle Village in Colorado Springs has Basic Bicycle Maintenance classes every Monday and Advanced Bicycle Maintenance classes every 1st and 3rd Mondays. Pi Guy and I will pick up on these. The BSA Cycling Merit Badge pamphlet also has bicycle mechanics. We’ll find some other books as well. The Complete Book of Bicycle Maintenance by the Bicycling Magazine folks sounds good. Then we’ll take our bicycles out from the garage for preventive maintenance and adjustments.

We’ll check out various equipment and accessories for bicycles. And plan on what will be necessary for our trip. (And dream of the equipment we won’t be able to afford.)

I’m going to use the Cardio Free Diet by Jim Karas, as a guideline for weight loss. Even though the title seems kind of contra-indicative, the principles of calories in vs calories expended makes for an easy to follow formula. I’ll post my progress in the side bar with date, weight, waist, Body Fat %. My target will be 165 to 170 lbs. (No pressure.) It'll be after the bookstore.

No comments: